Back in February of 2019, Matt Hancock, health secretary, strongly advocated for the idea of the NHS providing predictive genetic tests for common cancers and heart disease. A sense of threat, however, ensued after his comments and, since then, there has been no mention of such an undertaking by the NHS. Genotyping, for instance, is … Continue reading The genetic NHS
It is one of the crowning findings of behavioural genetics: the older we get, the more our specific genetic differences are associated with the degree to which we differ on measured phenotypic traits; like weight, disease prevalence and cognitive diversity. This is interesting, because genetic variance of a population doesn’t change over time (each person … Continue reading Our unique genes amplify themselves through environment
Studies of intelligence quotient (IQ) differences in a population seem to entail that the variance of intelligence between individuals is predominantly the effect of genetic difference. In fact, genetic variance is said to account for almost 80 per cent of the IQ variances in the population, leaving just 20 per cent of the variance to … Continue reading An Intelligent Paradox Yielding Progress.
Depression: a disease neuroscientist and author, Robert Sapolsky, calls the “bread and butter of human misery,” and what psychologist, Martin Seligman, has referred to as “the common cold of psychopathology.” Common being the operative word, as it is estimated that 5 to 20 per cent of us will suffer a major, life threatening, depression at … Continue reading Anhedonia Venom